Deputyship Solicitors, London. International.

You may wish to contact us in relation to someone who is unable to deal with their own affairs due to illness or an injury. If they have a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) or an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA), these can be used to carry out decisions on their behalf in accordance with their wishes. 

Where a LPA or EPA is not in place, it will be necessary for a deputy to be appointed. This will involve an application to the Court of Protection for a deputyship order to be made. A court appointed deputy will then be able to manage the property and financial affairs or personal affairs of a person who lacks the mental capacity to do this themselves.  

An application can be made by a family member, trusted friend or a solicitor. The Court of Protection website does provide you with the necessary forms, guidance, and fee information to make an application. However, it can be a complex process and we can assist you through all of it or for just part of the process. 

Where you do not wish to make decisions for someone else, a professional deputy, who would be a practising solicitor with extensive knowledge in acting for vulnerable clients, can be appointed instead. Appointing a professional deputy can be beneficial as they have a network of contacts who can deal with a vulnerable person’s affairs appropriately. Their actions are also supervised by the Office of the Public Guardian and they are expected to always act in good faith and in the best interests of their client. 

Although their legal fees are overseen independently by the Senior Court Costs Office (SCCO), they also work with the client’s family to keep the costs as low as possible. Information of the fixed fees can be found on the Court of Protection website. A professional deputy will not only have a security bond in place but they will also have their own professional indemnity insurance.  

For further information please contact us via telephone on
020 7052 3545 or make an enquiry online.

Make an Enquiry

Fill out the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.