Licencing Solicitors, London. International.
One of the key pre-requisites to the effective running of a business in the leisure sector is good licencing advice. At KaurMaxwell, we act for an extensive range of clients, including restaurants, bars, cafes and hotels.
Our bespoke advice is tailored around your needs which allows you to make the best decisions for effectively running your business. Our client portfolio gives us an advantage as we are required to understand and give advice on all aspects of premises licencing.
Whatever type of business you run, our priority is to always safeguard you and offer you clear and pragmatic advice.
Licensing applications for business premises
Our fees vary depending on the nature of the application and whether it becomes contested. We will always communicate the position with you and the work to be undertaken before we proceed to agree a fixed fee for that stage, a capped fee or a fee range.
Our typical fees
- Personal licence £250 + VAT
- New Premises licence or full variation £1,000 – 1,500 + VAT if it is not contested
- New Premises licence or full variation £4,000 – 10,000 + VAT if it is contested
- Minor variations £500 – £1,000 + VAT
- Transfer of Premises Licence – 300 – 1,000 (if it not contested)
- DPS Variation – £150-200 + VAT
*These fees vary depending on the individual premises and where it is located. The fees can on occasion be higher than the ranges given above. We will give you an accurate figure for each item as soon as we know more about your situation.
Work could include (depending on your requirement and would be costed accordingly):
- Taking your instructions and advising you as to how you can promote the licensing objectives within your application.
- Advising you as the type of plans you are required to submit with your application.
- Completing the application form for a new premises licence (including the operating schedule) in accordance with your instructions and submitting this to the local licensing authority alongside suitable plans. You must provide suitable plans.
- Providing guidance on the fee levels payable to the licensing authority.
- Preparing copies of the premises licence application for disclosure to the responsible authorities and serving copies of the application on the responsible authorities.
- Drafting the notices advertising the premises licence application and submitting the notice to the local newspaper.
- Arranging with you for you to display the notice(s) advertising the premises licence application and advising as to where and how this should be done by you in order to comply with the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.
- Providing a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) consent form for signature by a personal licence holder proposed by yourself.
- Checking the licence once granted and correcting any errors with the licensing authority.
The fee does not include:
- Obtaining suitable plans.
- Attending pre-consultation meetings with the Licensing Authority or Responsible Authorities, nor their fee for this meeting.
- Dealing with or advising you in relation to queries or representations received from either the responsible authorities or other interested parties.
- Advising on varying the licence.
- Attendance and representation at a licensing sub-committee hearing of the responsible authority. If representations are received and attendance and representation at a licensing sub-committee is required then we will provide a separate fee estimate for this work which will be charged at an hourly rate.
Matters usually take 2-6 weeks from receipt of instructions from you but we are not in control of how long the relevant authority or council may take.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as the application fee. We will pay the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- Application fee (payable to licencing authority) £100 – £700 plus VAT
- Advertising fee – £200 – £400
- And any other relevant authority or council fee depending on your instruction